Front: Incised at center, crudely executed: “JUDE”. Vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines incised over name. Deeply incised rectangular border.
Back: Incised at center: “1865”
Spine: Lightly incised: “HOLY BIBL” [sic]
Page Edges: Coved fore edge incised: “J.A. Shorr”. Bottom page edge is very lightly incised: “1864”.
1. Coved fore edge incised: “J.A. Shorr”. Bottom page edge is very lightly incised: “1864”. Top and bottom page edges are chamfered.
2. Book is crudely executed overall.
3. Possible identification which accompanied book when purchased notes that this may be John A. Shorr, born in Waynetown, IN. Enlisted as a private on 8/16/1862, 72nd Indiana Infantry at Lafayette, IN. Fought at Chickamonga. 3 year veteran. Or this may be John Shorr, enlisted on 9/12/1861 as a Private. On 12/31/1861 he mustered into “A” Co., Ohio 69th Infantry. Mustered out on 7/17/1865 at Louisville, KY.
- MediumJasper (?), reddish-brown
- Dimensions (inches)2 1/4 x 1 7/8 x 1 3/8